Monday, December 3, 2012

2012 Spiritual Birthday

It's my spiritual birthday! I was baptized 4 years ago today.

"...and who knows whether or not you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this." 
- Esther 4:14

If I didn't know any better I would say it was luck. I've studied enough probability and stats to know that it's not likely that the one guy who had what I was praying for was standing right there. Literally. Right there. That's only if I didn't know any better. Knowing what I know now it was the result of a whole lot of hard work, a well trained perception, and just a little bit of an old, wise, and very Jewish Mordicai raising his shoulders in a shrug that says "perhaps God is at work here." I wasn't the first or last freshman he met that year, or even that day, probably. I was just the one who wanted a fellowship to meet with, who just happened to be praying for it just as he walked by, and when I opened my eyes to eat my salad he was asking me, "mind if I sit here?"

I studied the scriptures with him and a few of his brothers in Christ, the more I heard the more I wanted in. This was what I had been longing for and never knew. I saw men bound together by a bond I had never seen the likes of before, and more than that I saw men and women bound to Truth more securely than I had ever seen before. The Apostles Teaching. The way that the first Christians did things. The way that the men who walked with Jesus taught them. What other way could there be?

It didn't take long for something to get in the way. There are forces out there who would just assume see me floundering in my faith, and... perhaps they acted. I managed to connect myself in my first few weeks of my schooling with a two groups of Christians, one that professed to follow the apostles teaching, and another that was convinced that I was at risk of joining a cult. 

I will say 3 things about that and move on.
1.) "Judge a tree by it's fruit." - Matthew 7:16
2.) "If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother." -Matthew 18:15
3.) "You'll never really know a man till you walk a mile in his shoes" - To Kill a Mockingbird

So I heard their accusations, I took a look at the fruit, and I haven't quite made it a mile yet, but I'm working on it. I kept studying, and I learned enough to know that I wanted to be baptized. I wanted be converted the same way that the first century Christians were. I saw this as the answer to the prayer that I had prayed 3 years before.

I was baptized. A lot has happened since then. More than I can write about now.

"Who can say if I've been changed for the better? Because I knew you, I have been changed for good." 

No comments:

Post a Comment